Total Time: 20 minutes | Makes: 16 pancakes | Servings: 4
These pancakes are loaded with heart-healthy almonds and milled flax seed that is loaded with omega-3 fatty acids. Drizzle with a small amount of light agave nectar for a low-glycemic take on syrup without the sugar alcohols found in sugar-free maple syrups.
- Vegetable oil spray
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup milled flax seed
- 1/4 cup bulk sugar substitute
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp bulk sugar substitute
- Butter (may use light, trans-fat free buttery spread)
- A heaping spoonful of your favorite Fiordifrutta organic fruit spread
- Grease a griddle or large skillet with vegetable oil spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Mix all the batter ingredients in a bowl with a wooden spoon until well blended.
- Pour approximately 16 mini-cakes onto the hot griddle, and cook on the first side for 3 to 4 minutes until almost done, and then flip and cook for just another minute or so to finish. You may need to do this in 2 to 3 batches (as we use a very large electric griddle).
- Combine the cinnamon and sugar substitute and sprinkle over the hot cakes before serving.
- Top with a pat of melted butter or fat-free margarine and spoonful of Fiordifrutta organic fruit spread. The spread will soften with the heat of the pancakes and become a beautiful glaze.
Serving size: 4 mini-pancakes
Calories 160, Fat 11 g, Protein 7 g, Fiber 4 g, Net Carbs 4 g
Recipe by George Stella, from the book George Stella’s Still Livin’ Low Carb; A lifetime of Low Carb Recipes. For more information, visit StellaStyle.com.