Prep Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 5 hours
This delicious raw hazelnut mint tart will last forever as it is so dense and full of flavor and nutrients that a small slice is satisfying beyond belief. A true raw and clean dessert and absolutely sugar-free. The only sweetener in this recipe is Dolcedi which is made from 100% organic apples. (Recipe courtesy of Tina Turbin from PaleOmazing.)
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1 cup pitted, moist Medjool dates
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
White Mint Filling
- 2 cups raw cashew pieces
- ¼ cup coconut cream
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup Raw coconut oil
- ¼ honey or Dolcedi sweetener
- 6-10 drops Peppermint Extract (taste it as you add it to suit your personal desire!)
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted and warm
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup or Dolcedi sweetener
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder
- Soak the cashews for at least 5 hours.
- Line the bottom of a pie tin or an 8-10 inch pan with wax or parchment paper. Grease the sides with some coconut oil.
- Place all of your crust ingredients into in a food processor and pulse until it sticks together well.
- Press the mixture into the pan and smooth it out all around and even it out with your hands.
- Freeze for about 30 minutes while you prepare the filling.
- Place all the ingredients for the filling in a high speed blender (I use a Vitamix) and combine until really creamy.
- Add the peppermint oil a little at a time, all depending on your own taste buds.J
- Pour the peppermint mixture on top of the crust, after is has been in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Roll the pie tin around and let the peppermint filling get to all sides evenly.
- Drop the pie tin on the counter hard a few good times to remove all air bubbles.
- Place back in freezer for 2 hours to allow to set and chill well enough for the next step.
- Add the melted and quite warm coconut oil, maple syrup/Dolcedi and cacao to a small mixing bowl and stir well. It should look like pourable chocolate sauce.
- If not, then you may heat in a pan and if you are not opposed to using a microwave, you may heat it for 15-20 seconds.
- Spoon or pour the chocolate topping on top of the well chilled/frozen peppermint layer.
- Now lift up the pan and roll the chocolate around so it evenly distributes. It will harden as you do this.
- Place the tart back into your freezer for just a ½ hour – 1 hour or longer if you are not ready to eat it.
- When you are ready to eat it, remove the pan from the freezer and let sit for approximately 10 minutes. It will be perfectly firm and ready to slice up and eat.
- Store the leftovers in the freezer and simply thaw and eat as just stated above.