Prep Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 1.25 hours | Makes: 1 cake
This somewhat dense cake is pure honey heaven. It’s not too sweet, so a scoop of ice-cream on the side would complement it well. Alternatively, you can eat it for breakfast with a nice cup of coffee or tea. We like to heat our honey sauce right in the jar at the end so there’s not one drop of wasted honey!
- 1/2 cup of butter at room temperature, cut into small pieces.
- 1 jar of Mielbio Organic Acacia Raw Honey. Use 3/4 jar in recipe and 1/4 jar for sauce.
- 4 eggs at room temperature. Separate yolks from whites and save both.
- 1 shot of rum
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour an 8 inch round cake pan.
- In a separate bowl or mixer, cream butter. Then mix in 3/4 jar of the honey, egg yolks, rum, flour and baking powder.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff white peaks form. Do not overmix. If using a blender, always make sure to remove any grease from the inside of the bowl and whisk first. You can remove any excess grease with a little bit of vinegar. Then wipe clean.
- Slowly fold in the egg whites with the cake mixture until just incorporated.
- Pour into prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Use a toothpick to test if done. If it comes out clean, it’s ready. Let cool.
- While cooling, heat the remaining 1/4 jar of honey, 1 tbsp of water and 1 shot of rum in the microwave for 30 seconds. If using jar, do not put lid on, just heat directly in jar.
- After heated, put lid on jar and shake to incorporate.
- Poke holes over top of cake and pour honey sauce over the top of the cake.
- Garnish with whatever suits you — powdered sugar, whipped cream, a dusting of cocoa, fresh berries, etc.